In response to Governor Wolf’s declaration continuing closure of non-essential businesses through April 30 and schools for an indefinite period, PA West Soccer is extending its suspension of all activity until April 30, 2020. This means our clubs and leagues may resume activity on May 1, 2020. Suspension means cessation of activity; activities including, but not limited to, in-person meetings, training (team, small group, individual), matches, and travel.
While we are extending the suspension of activity, we are encouraging all of our youth clubs and adult teams to continue their administrative preparations to resume activity on May 1, 2020. Our intent is to proceed with spring play at that time and the staff is prepared to help you toward that end.
It goes without saying there are a lot of moving parts with information coming from a variety of sources. We must constantly monitor each of those sources to make the necessary decisions that will keep our players and community safe while affording everyone the chance to resume the normalcy of playing in a timely manner.
We also understand there are also a lot of moving parts beyond training and league play for the clubs and teams in our association. Our staff and volunteers are working to reschedule competitions when and where necessary. Those changes will be communicated directly from the District/Division Director and our various Tournament Directors. They will also be posted on the PA West Soccer’s web site (www.pawest-soccer.org).
Moving forward during the suspension and following return to activity, USYS recommends that every State Association require registered players and coaches coming in contact with anyone diagnosed with coronavirus, or if they become infected themselves, to alert their club. The club should then notify PA West Soccer. We will then incorporate that information in decisions on future matches for that club and its league.
This additional step will help us with the physical distancing necessary to decrease the spread of Coronavirus (Covid-19). We are requiring this step and ask that you please notify Tim McCoy via email should you need to submit a report.
Should there be further changes to this status we will notify our membership immediately. Updates will also be posted on the PA West Soccer web site as they become available.
Please remember, Coronavirus (Covid-19) is spread through respiratory droplets or from surfaces upon which droplets have landed and subsequent touching of the face.
Best Practices for Health:
There is currently no vaccine to prevent the Coronavirus (Covid-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed. Everyday preventive actions should be taken:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow the CDC's recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including Coronavirus.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms to help prevent the spread of the disease.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Below, we've listed some helpful information and links from The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
Helpful Information & Links from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The CDC provides helpful information about COVID-19, and those links are included below for more information about prevention, travel, and other coronavirus resources.
- Coronavirus Prevention & Treatment:
- Coronavirus Travel Information:
Helpful Links On The PA West Soccer Web Site